Thursday, January 31, 2008

homework, and schoolwork, and housework...oh my!

So last Sunday we had a lecture (yes, lecture not lesson) about how women have this role to be the homemakers. Definition of a homemaker in Mormon land "someone who is a slave to house work, is very under-appreciated, and has no life outside of cleaning, cooking, and making little horrible trinkets to display around the house. (Which I despise, thanks to my sister who had a strict "no crap for decorations" policy the whole time we shared a room.) Don't get me wrong, I want to be a stay-at-home-mother when I grow up. But, don't make me feel guilty for feeding my husband a frozen pizza (again!) or leaving the dishes undone until this weekend because I choose to further my education at this time. There is time for all this homemaking stuff later. Right now I have to worry about writing papers, reading, studing for tests, getting to work on time, writing lesson plans...and so on. I don't even have time for a doctors appointment let alone a Martha Stewart apartment. SO for all you young ladies out there who claim they can do all of this at once, give me your shrinks number...or don't because I don't have time for all that talking.
Disclaimer: If this post has offended anyone, please know that you take things WAY to personally.

6 comments:

Wiseguys said...

Oh Joy, that's why we get along so well. We see thing the same way. Let me tell you, our apartment was pretty much a mess for the first 3 years we were married until we graduated and I actually had time to stay home and clean. I always thought it was unfair that I should cook, clean, go to school, and work when all Chris was doing was going to work and school. Not until I had Madison and really not until we moved to Texas did I start actually having a decently clean house. Plus doing dishes by hand just sucks.

Matt said...

boo hoo

Janice said...

Hey there, there's nothing wrong with the husband helping a bit too! In fact I would recommend it, it's an equality thing, and it helps with unity! Seriously, the more you work and play together the better your marriage will be. that's my piece of advice:)

Heather's mom:)

Janice said...

Hey there, there's nothing wrong with the husband helping a bit too! In fact I would recommend it, it's an equality thing, and it helps with unity! Seriously, the more you work and play together the better your marriage will be. that's my piece of advice:)

Heather's mom:)

chrissy said...

amen sister. and i am a stay at home mom, so there.

KJ and Michelle said...

:) i know how u feel